How To Fix Email Settings in Outlook for Mac
If your email account has stopped working, an update or crash may have caused some settings to change. This guide will take you through the email settings so you can go through and fix everything up.
Before you start:
A) Make sure you have the correct email settings for your account. Click here for a guide on finding your correct email settings. Other than the username (Email Address) and password, all settings will be exactly the same for all email accounts on the same domain.
B) If you're unsure what your email password is, click here for a guide on how to change it
Step 1 - Click on Outlook > Preferences
Then click on Accounts
Step 2 - Select the account you want to fix
Step 3 -
(1) The Email Address and Username should both show the full email address
(2) If your password is in there, keep it as it is. Come back to this and re-add the password if your email still fails after checking the other settings
(3) Incoming and Outgoing server should be the same
(4) Make sure both boxes are ticked (leave "Always use secure password" unticked)
(5) Add the correct port numbers (Incoming IMAP 993 or POP 995, Outgoing 465)
NOTE: On rare occasions, due to some network settings on your router/firewall/office network, the SSL settings above don't work. If you continue having problems, try these settings instead (use Port 110 for Incoming if your email is set as POP)
Step 4 - Click on More Options
Step 5 - Make sure Authentication is set to Use Incoming Server Info then click OK. Close all the windows then test the email by sending an email from / to your email address (eg: from email@example.com to firstname.lastname@example.org). If a pop up box comes up and asks for your password, put it in then.